A Camping Experience for Stroke Survivors & Their Caregivers
>>> Book List
Although Retreat & Refresh Stroke Camp is providing the following book titles, RRSC does not endorse any particular book or author
Rehab & Recovery
Books for Survivors
- The Stroke Recovery Book: A Guide for Patients and Families, by Kip Burkman, M.D.
- How To Conquer the World with One Hand...and An Attitude, by Paul E. Berger and Stephanie Mensh
- How To Conquer Hobbies with One Hand: 50 Tips and Tools to Make Things, by Paul E. Berger and Stephanie Mensh
- One-Handed in a Two-Handed World, by Tommye-Karen Mayer
- After a Stroke: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, by Cleo Hutton
- The Brain that Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science, by Norman Doidge, M.D.
- Hope: A Stroke Recovery Guide, by the National Stroke Association, order a bound copy by calling 1-800-STROKES or go online www.stroke.org to download and print a free copy
- 100 Questions & Answers About Stroke: A Lahey Clinic Guide, by Kinan K. Hreib, M.D., Ph.D.
Books for Caregivers
- Different Strokes: An Intimate Memoir for Stroke Survivors, Families, and Caregivers, by Steven Boorstein www.survivingstroke.com
- Like A Bolt: Tragedy to Triumph After Stroke As I Lived It, by Mary Morgan
- Stroke, Brain Assault, by Madelina A. DePaz
- Take Brave Steps For Stroke Survivors and Families: A Message of Motivation and Hope, by Ron Gardner
- My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey, by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D.
- I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury, by Kara L. Swanson
- My Year Off: Recovering Life After a Stroke, by Robert McCrum
- Rewire Your Brain, Rewire Your Life: A Handbook for Stroke Survivors & Their Caregivers, by Bob Guns
- Stroke Diaries: A Guide for Survivors and their families, by Olajide Williams, MD
- The Fire Within: A True Story of Triumph Over Tragedy, by Valerie L. Greene
- A Stroke of Genius: Messages of Hope and Healing From a Thriving Stroke Survivor, by Sandy Simon
- Don't Leave Me This Way: Or When I Get Back on My Feet You'll Be Sorry, by Julia Fox Garrison
- A Piece of Her Mind: A Mother-Daughter Journey Through Stroke and Recovery, by Mona Gupton and Stacy Gupton
- Into the Blue: A Father's Flight and A Daughter's Return, by Susan Edsall
- Who Cares: A Loving Guide for My Future Caregivers, by Dee Marrella
- The Comfort of Home for Stroke: A Guide for Caregivers, by Maria M. Meyer and Paula Derr, RN with Jon Caswell, Stroke Connection Magazine
- Living With Stroke: A Guide for Families, by Richard Senelick, M.D., and Karla Dougherty
- The Magic of Humor in Caregiving, by James R. Sherman, Ph.D.
- Positive Caregiver Attitudes, by James R. Sherman, Ph.D.
- Creative Caregiving, by James R. Sherman, Ph.D.
- The Tough & Tender Caregiver: A Handbook for the Well Spouse, by David A. Travland, Ph.D. and Rhonda Travland
- Nursing Homes and Assisted Living: The Family's Guide to Making Decisions and Getting Good Care, by Peter S. Silin
- When The Time Comes: Families with Aging Parents Share Their Struggles and Solutions, by Paula Span
- Lessons from the Ancients: A Humorously Helpful Guide for Caregiving, by J. Dyess Calhoun
- Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos into Confidence, by Gail Sheehy
- To Love What Is: A Marriage Transformed, by Alix Kates Shulman
- Eureka! Memories and Motivations: A Strategy for Creating a Healing Home for the Stroke/Brain Injury Patient and Caregiver, by Madonna Siles C.P.C.
- Port in The Storm: How to Make a Medical Decision and Live to Tell About It, by Cole A. Giller, M.D., Ph.D.
- Brain, Heal Thyself: A Caregiver's New Approach to Recovery from Stroke, Aneurysm, and Traumatic Brain Injuries by Madonna Siles
- Share the Care, by Cappy Capossela and Sheila Warnock
- Coping with Stroke: 50 Answers to Everyday Caregiver Challenges, by Monica Vest Wheeler
Books on Aphasia
- Now One Foot, Now the Other, by Tomie dePaola
- Beamer Learns the Signs of Stroke and How to Help, by Cindy Chambers
Inspirational Books (not necessarily stroke specific)
- Talking About Aphasia, by Susie Parr, Sally Byng, and Sue Gilpin with Chris Ireland
- Barkin' Dog: How to Talk with Aphasia, by Ed Bas
- A Mind of My Own: Memoir of Recovery from Aphasia, by Harrianne Mills
- You Can Do It! 105 Thoughts, Feelings and Solutions to Inspire You, By Paul Berger and Stephanie Mensh
- The Power of Attitude, by Mac Anderson
- The Blue Day Book: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up, by Bradley Trevor Greive
- Loving What Is: Four Questions that can Change Your Life, by Byron Katie with Stephen Mitchell
- The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart: An Emotional and Spiritual Handbook, by Daphne Rose Kingma
- In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed, by Carl Honore
- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, by Jean-Dominique Bauby
This list of resources is compiled by Retreat & Refresh Stroke Camp.
- Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability: Getting & Keeping Your Benefits by David A. Morton III, M.D.
- How To Get SSI and Social Security Disability: An insider's Step by Step Guide, by Mike Davis.